"Me thinks that the moment my legs begin to move, my thoughts begin to flow"
Henry David Thoreau
Urban exploration is an active form of engaging with the local community
Offering numerous physical and mental health benefits, a typical urban adventure:
- Promotes a healthy lifestyle
- Reduces physical inactivity which is linked to chronic health conditions
- Has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety
- Reduces social and physical isolation which is associated with the occurrence of depressive symptoms.
- Stimulates the release of endorphins which increase the body's threshold for pain and affects mood
- Assists in the prevention of osteoporosis due to its weight bearing activity
- Fosters better cardiovascular health
- Increases awareness of the local environment and stimulates connection
- Improves team building skills and fosters therapeutic alliance
- Allows for an emotional cleansing from the artificiality of the world
- Offers opportunities to connect socially with others
Tags: mental health, connection, urban, exploration, physical health